Vegetarianism is becoming increasingly popular among Americans these days. About two percent of Americans are vegetarians and this number is increasing at a faster rate. This increase may be due to that fact that experts believed and are advising that eating more plants is a good thing no matter the vegetarian diet you are observing. Additionally, vegetarians are believed to be living a heathy lifestyle by incorporating exercise in their routine.
What it means to be a vegetarian?
Vegetarians eat meals that are based on plants, including nuts, seeds, grains, vegetables, fruits and legumes. There are many different types of vegetarians, but the most popular definition is those who do not eat meat.
There are different reasons why someone may decide to become a vegetarian. Some people do not think that it is a good thing to kill an animal for food, so they switched and became vegetarian. Other believe that a plant based lifestyle is heather while other may have decided on becoming vegetarian due to religious beliefs.
Different types of vegetarian diets
Someone who is a vegetarian eat foods which are fee of meat, including chicken and fish, but there have been many different versions of the vegetarian diets and they are discussed below.
- Lacto-ovo-vegetarians – They eat eggs and dairy foods but do not eat meat, fish or poultry meat.
- Lacto-vegetarians – Eat dairy foods but don’t eat eggs.
- Ovo-vegetarians – They eat eggs but don’t eat dairy foods.
- Pollotarians – They eat poultry food but do not eat any other meat, dairy and fish.
- Pescatarians – They eat fish but do not eat meat.
- Semi vegetarians – they eat chicken and fish but do not eat red meat.
- Flexitarians – They eat vegetarian diets most of the time and occasionally eat meat.
- Vegans – This set of people are the strictest type of vegetarians because they do not eat animal meat or its byproducts such as dairy foods, eggs, honey and anything made with gelatin.
Foods vegetarians eat and foods they avoid
Most vegetarians eat mostly plant based foods and avoid any form of meats and any other foods depending on the type of vegetarian they are.
Foods on vegetarian diet list
Most types of vegetarians eat grains, vegetables and fruits.
Foods to avoid when on a vegetarian diet
Depending on the type of vegetarian you are, you may eat egg if you are an ovo-vegetarian or fish if you are a pescatarian. But strict vegetarians will avoid eating meat, fish and any form of poultry meat.